Which characters are allowed in a .se or .nu address? And which domain names are not possible to register? Here we have collected the terms and conditions that are good to know when you are registering a domain.
Change of Terms and Conditions for .se and .nu, respectively
The Terms and Conditions is the agreement that applies to all domain name holders and revised Terms and Conditions will enter into force on September 30, 2019.
As a domain holder, you need to read through the new Terms and Conditions but you do not have to do anything to maintain your domain name, the domain name registration is not affected.
If you have one or more .se-domain or .nu-domain name registered this means that the now valid version of Terms and Conditions of registration will apply until September 29, 2019. On September 30, 2019, these will be replaced by the updated Terms and Conditions of registration which applies to all domain name holders irrespectively of date of registration of the domain name.
If you register a new domain name during the period up to and including September 29, 2019, the valid version of Terms and Conditions of Registration will apply. The updated Terms and Conditions of Registration will thereafter apply to all domain name holders irrespectively of date of registration of the domain name.
The registration terms are the agreement that applies to all domain name holders. Please find the terms and conditions which are valid until September 29, 2019. (More information regarding the new registration terms is found in the section above.)
The registration of .se and .nu domains is done through any of The Swedish Internet Foundation’s resellers, so called registrars. Regardless of which registrar you choose, The Swedish Internet Foundation’s terms and conditions apply. There terms are included in all registrar agreements. In addition, each registrar has his or her own terms.
- Anyone can register a .se or .nu domain provided it is available and does not appear on The Swedish Internet Foundation’s block list (see below). The registration of the domain name occurs immediately.
- The chosen name cannot conflict with the law or infringe on the rights of others, such as a trademark.
- The holder must provide a working email address and full contact details.
- A .se or .nu domain may contain at least one and at most 63 characters.
Accepted characters for .se domains
A .se domain can contain the characters a-z, 0-9, hyphens, as well as å, ä, ö, ü and é. All characters in the official Swedish minority languages (Finnish, Meänkieli (Tornedal Finnish), Sami, Romani and Yiddish) can be used. It is also possible to handle the other Nordic countries’ language characters. A complete list of over all 240 characters currently available to use in .se domains can be found in the character table below. Read more about IDN.
Accepted characters for .nu domains
A .nu domain can contain the characters a-z, 0-9, hyphens, and å, ä, ö, ü and é. A large number of characters in other Western European languages, Swedish and some of the other Nordic languages are supported. A complete list over all 69 characters currently available to use in .nu domains can be found in the table below. Read more about IDN.
Blocked and reserved domain names
There are a number of categories of domain names that are blocked or reserved by The Swedish Internet Foundation. See below:
- Number combinations in the format xxxxxx-xxxx that constitute or may be a personal identity number. The block was introduced after a recommendation from the Swedish Data Protection Authority in order to protect people’s personal integrity.
- Two letters followed by two hyphens. The syntax containing two letters followed by two hyphens is reserved for internationalized domain names and is blocked in accordance with current standards to avoid common domain names being perceived as IDN domain names.
- Some domains are reserved as example and test domains and therefore are not possible to register.
- Designations according to the law (2014:812) about protection for certain characteristics in international humanitarian law and the law (1970:498) about protection of weapons and certain other official designations with the associated regulation (2019:167) cannot be freely used. Domain names that consist of the protected designations are therefore blocked for registration. The blocked domain names are reserved for the organization that holds the right to the designation according to the law or regulation. The organization that holds the right to the designation can register the domain name by proving its right to the name, unless otherwise stated in the relevant legislation. If someone other than the holder requests the cancellation of the block, the applicant must be able to prove that he or she has the approval of the organization concerned. This applies if something else is not stated in the current legislation.
- Main domains, such as county letters, are blocked for new registrations (only for .se domains). Already registered domain names under a main domain continue to be registered as long as they are renewed.
You can get JSON-data or download text files here with all blocked and reserved domains:
- Blocked and reserved domain names .se (JSON)
- Blocked and reserved domain names .se (text file)
- Blocked and reserved domain names .nu (JSON)
- Blocked and reserved domain names .nu (text file)
Data files are created one time per day. Certain domain names are completely blocked for registration while others are reserved for eligible applicants.
Handling of personal data